The "Net Worth" of a "Network"

Greetings and happy friday! So last week I gushed about the importance of relationships and after the hell of a week that I have had, I believe it even more!

From ISES to NACE, MPI and beyond, abbreviated associations are as frequent as abbreviated crime shows on basic cable. They all are very focused in their mission and have warranted an impressive amount of business and experiences for myself. This past week, however, I kicked some major networking ass!

From fundraising for Japan, to celebrating a birthday with the Four Seasons and an anniversary with BizBash Media, my network has grown exponentially. It's no secret that I am a talker, but I think I get more out of these events than a lot of people. Okay, well, maybe some. Here are some tips that may help you, your team, or that new trainee that may be a bit overwhelmed by the repeat introductions and the cliche "Hello, My Name Is:" sticker. 

First, (this is my signature) I go into every event knowing what I want to get out of it. The question? Just who from. 

Elite Bridal Network at The Four Season's 

Keep in mind that networking is about being genuine and authentic, building trust and relationships, and seeing how you can help others.

At the BizBash Pre Party

"Split up". "Divide and conquer". Whatever you want to call it, your whole team sitting at the bar together is not going to close any business. Try to spend 75% of the time with people you do not yet know. 

Making a very serious point, naturally.

Remember. Remember. Remember. I was recently caught off guard this week when a pseudo-familiar face approached me and referenced a conversation we had in passing at the last month's meet up. Call it loyalty, call it commitment, or call it crazy, but I was impressed. 

Stay connected. In addition to adding my new contacts to Constant Contact, I try to find them on other social networking sites like LinkedIn, Facebook (their business page usually) and even Twitter. 

The BizBash Expo's Social Media Lounge


Needless to say, I am exhausted (and out of business cards), but looking forward to working with all the awesome contacts I met over the past week. So remember, when its been a long day and yet another email blast or facebook invite comes across your email, go. You never know who you will meet. 





Comments

Popular Posts