Sexy & Seasonal

Everyone knows I am a sucker for something spicy...topping my tacos with extra jalapenos or throwing a chile into a martini. It may be my Latin roots or maybe my habit of taking risks, but I love to heat things up.

In season through October, Serrano Chiles are spicy, sexy, sustainable, and can add kick to any thing from soups and sauces to meatballs and martinis.


Believe it or not, these suckers can help clear your sinuses, fight infections and reduce swelling that causes headaches. Call me a bookworm, but I also read that the chiles contain Capsaicin--a compound that revs up your body so you burn more calories (that's the sexy part). We all know I could use more Capsaicin in my diet.

Check out these recipes you can make THIS weekend!


Seared Serrano and Corn Salsa
In a mixing bowl combine 4 ears of shaved corn, 4 diced serranos, a handful of parsley springs and diced scallions with 2 teaspoons of olive oil. Add mixture to a saute pan over medium heat for about 5 minutes.


Serrano Pesto
Pulse together cilantro, grated parmesean, pine nuts, garlic, seeded serranos, and olive oil in food processor.

Spicy Martini
Combine serranos and vodka in glass jar with lid; store cool for 1 week. In shaker with ice, combine now infused vodka with vermouth. Shake and strain into chilled martini glass.


Remember, just because we are all sweating our asses off this summer here in Miami, doesn't mean you can't still spice things up in the kitchen, behind your bar, or when entertaining!


Comments

Popular Posts